Post-Decree Custody Modification

Divorce itself is riddled with important, life-altering decisions and emotional challenges. When children are involved, matters can become much more complex. After you and your co-parent finally reached an arrangement, whether it was mediated or court-ordered, you probably hoped that it would remain stable and effective. However, as your child gets older and life goes on, there may come a time when post-decree custody modification is necessary due to a changing circumstance in your life, your child’s life, or your co-parent’s life.

When that time comes, having professional guidance in your corner can make the difference between reaching a favorable outcome and getting caught up in a stressful legal battle.

If you need assistance with post-decree custody modification, call New Leaf Family to schedule a free initial case evaluation where we can discuss your options and next steps.

What Is A Post-Decree Custody Modification & How Does It Work?

A post-decree custody modification is a legal process that allows either parent to request a change to an original parenting time arrangement. There are two key factors that must be taken into consideration before any modifications can be made: whether a significant change has occurred, and whether a modification to the original arrangement is in the best interests of the child. Whatever benefits your child the most is what Colorado courts will prioritize.

To initiate a modification, there are a variety of forms that need to be filled out and filed, including a motion to modify parenting time. Within this motion there should be supporting evidence for the change in circumstances necessitating the modification, along with any required filing fees.

If you and your co-parent don’t see eye-to-eye on modifying parenting time, you will each have the opportunity to present your side, as well as any supporting evidence, in court. This is where having a custody modification attorney on your side can give you an advantage.

Reasons You May Need To Modify Custody

There are a variety of reasons a modification to your custody arrangement may be necessary, including, but not limited to, the following:

  • Job loss
  • Job relocation
  • New job
  • Changes in your health or your co-parent’s health
  • Remarriage or a new relationship
  • Change in your child’s health or educational needs
  • Child’s wishes (depending on their age and maturity)
  • Instances of domestic violence, substance abuse, or neglect

It’s important to note that not all of these things will guarantee that a modification can be made.

What Makes New Leaf Family The Right Choice For You

At New Leaf Family, we understand the emotional challenges and complexities that come with custody and making post-decree modifications. Your children are the most important people in your life, so it’s understandable that their well-being is your top priority. When changes need to be made to your custody arrangement, we can help get the job done.

Our skilled post-decree custody modification attorneys are familiar with Colorado’s post-modification laws, and they have the skills needed to effectively make modifications when necessary. In addition, we are dedicated to helping you support the evolving needs of your family. You can rely on our guidance and advocacy to help you achieve the best possible outcome!

What You Won’t Get With Us

  • Impersonal service
  • One-size-fits-all approach
  • Unexpected costs and fees

What You Will Get

  • Free initial case evaluation
  • Transparent legal guidance tailored to your situation
  • Confidentiality

Call New Leaf Family Today!

At New Leaf Family, we believe that every major life change can be broken down into three phases:

  1. Decision - Making decisions for yourself and your family based on what you want out of your future.
  2. Transition - Implementing your decisions, big or small.
  3. Equilibrium - Integrating into your new life after the decision and transition has been made.

We can help you make a decision about post-decree custody modification, make the transition, and find equilibrium once the dust has settled. Call New Leaf Family today to schedule a free initial case evaluation.

Contact Us